Apparently I haven't gotten up to date with the whole having kids during the holidays deal. A couple of people were asking me what the kids were going to be for Halloween in July and August and I honestly hadn't thought about it since last October - but the stores were putting up Halloween stuff because all of their back to school sales were done, so I guess it was something I should have been thinking about. I'm just barely adjusting to figuring out the kids Halloween costumes a month and a half early (Jacob will be either Elmo or a tiger, whichever he feels is best that moment, and Gus will be whatever he lets us put on and keep on, which could be anywhere between whichever costume Jacob doesn't want to a biker to a 18 month old in jeans and a t-shirt) and my sister ruins it by asking me what I was getting the kids for Christmas. Why would I be thinking about that??? Since I'm easily influenced, of course I started thinking about Christmas. I justified it by deciding if I figured out what I was getting the kids now, then when things go on sale I can grab them instead of waiting till the week before.
Here's my dilemma. We're doing the whole "Something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read", which makes it really easy and doesn't leave room to grab "just that one other thing", so we stay in our budget, at least in theory. However, the kids really act like twins. Gus can do 75-80 percent of what Jacob can do, and the things he can't do are things like climb a ladder, kick a ball, get up in his chair by himself - more physical limitations. But as far as toys go, they like the same stuff. So when I was making a list of things they need and want, everything I wrote down could go on either of their lists. They need finger paints and new trucks for their tracks and they want shopping carts, play food and magnetic blocks (since they speak gibberish, I decided that's what they said when I asked). So - do I get 2 of everything? If I do that, I feel like I'm cheating because they're really getting 2 things they need and 2 things they want, plus they are just starting to figure out sharing and taking turns (and by just starting, I mean like 5 minutes ago. And it lasted about 2 seconds) and I think while getting them their own specific toys is important, so is just getting one and letting them share it.
Fortunately, this was solved for me, since the only thing I was really struggling over was the shopping cart. I found someone on KSL selling 2 carts for 5 dollars. I decided it was a sign that when it comes to Christmas, it's ok to suspend the teaching of sharing and spoil the child a little.
2 comments:
Hahaha...I am 3/4 of the way done with Christmas shopping for my kids...when a great sale comes along.....
I was going to say two shopping carts would be a must, most of the other stuff would be easy to share....but since you have that covered...kudos!
Yeah, we want to do the four gift thing, too, but I am my mother's daughter and I end up getting lots of little things just so they have fun Christmas Eve and from their stockings.
Which brings me to my point: get a couple of little things (like the finger paints and chalk and stuff) as stocking stuffers. Then you can decide whether or not to get two of things or to just put one of something in each stocking. And then you're not cheating on your rule. :D
Post a Comment