We moved back to Provo on Friday and are staying at my mom's till we figure out what's going on with pharmacy school, both to save money and because we don't want to sign a lease if we aren't sure how long we'll be there. Her downstairs is about the size of a 2 bedroom apartment, so we're making it work. It's cozy. The boys still have separate bedrooms, which is a life saver. Bryan thought we were going to put the boys in the same room but I told him I'd end up really, really, really sad in about 2 days with them waking each other up at night, and in the afternoon Jacob has quiet time in his room while Gus naps and I get a couple of hours to myself and if that was taken away I'd be sad. There's a third "room" where we have our stuff, so it's fine. Bryan suggested we put in hammocks in the boys room and I laughed.
I told Bryan the other day it's pretty weird to see a baby turn into a real life toddler, but it's even weirder to see a toddler turn into a little boy. Right now Gus is turning into a real life toddler, saying a few things and having opinions and showing his personality more and more while Jacob is turning into a real life little boy, doing all kinds of things by himself and definitely displaying his personality and opinions. It's so fun to watch and just crazy to realize I don't have any babies around.
Speaking of Jacob letting us know his opinions, this move has been harder on him that I thought it would be and in weird situations he's adamant about voicing his opinion so he has some kind of control of what's going on around him. Yesterday he got in the car and wouldn't get out of his car seat, so we went to the store. Today he put on his church pants and socks but was absolutely, 100% against the shirt we picked out. After trying to give him the option between 2 different shirts and he rejected both of them, I just put one of them on and he, while screaming and crying, almost ripped it off because he was so mad we had put it on. Realizing this was not him just being defiant, but because he wanted some kind of control in his life, we finally got him to calm down and Bryan took him to choose whatever shirt he wanted. I got Gus dressed, then went in to check on them. He was wearing new pants - khakis - and a Mr. Potato Head shirt. So me and Bryan tried to talk him into wearing a sweater over the top - partly because it's cold, but mostly to make him look nicer. He refused. So Bryan showed him a sweater vest with an alligator on it. He agreed, then took his Mr. Potato head shirt off and put on just the sweater vest.
Sigh. This was worse than Mr. Potato Head. So we tried to get him to wear the shirt again, but he liked the alligator now. So I grabbed a sweater, thinking as soon as we got outside he'd get cold and let me put it on him. As we were walking out, Bryan offered Jacob his suit coat and Jacob willingly put it on, so he actually looked very presentable.
Unless we told people, or Jacob took off the jacket, they'd never know. While it was definitely frustrating in the moment, it's a hilarious story that will be told and retold for years.
This was Gus while all the trouble was happening this morning.
This is what they normally look like on Sunday.
Bryan's mom got the boys these outfits the last time she was out here, then sent Bryan a blue shirt to match Jacob after she went back home. I usually comb Gus's hair back and set it with gel, but I liked the shaggy look that day.
Jacob doesn't take naps anymore but he took naps a lot for a couple of weeks when he was sick with a cold. This is how we found him a couple of times.
And finally, the boys chillin' in their chairs.









1 comment:
I love the update. I have started letting Lily choose clothes hoping she will keep them on for longer than a minute.
Post a Comment