Sunday, August 13, 2017

Finishing out the summer

We spent the rest of July swimming, going to a few splash pads, movies and hanging out inside. Jacob had a sketch class at the rec center for 3 weeks and said he really liked it.

The 4th of July we went to the balloon launch. This was the first time I've taken the boys because I hate waking up early. We used to go when I was little and it was fun, so it was worth going at least once I figured. The boys had a blast, even after waiting for nearly an hour for it to get going.





When given the choice, the boys pick colored shirts for church. So Bryan's mom sent them a few more to add some variation.


We went to the zoo and they love the gigantic bugs.






Free Slurpees Day!!!


The boys have loved having a swimming pool right here and they go for hours at a time



I didn't get a picture of Noah, but he's a regular fish. He loves it when we let him take off the puddle jumper and swim a few feet from us to the edge. Because he's used the puddle jumper since he was about 18 months, he's got the kicking down really well. He just needs to get used to having his arms available and he'll be a good swimmer pretty quick. He's been dragged along for Jacob and Gus's swimming lessons for the past two years and I promised him next year is finally his turn.

We went up the canyon and played in the river and waterfall







We told the boys about Shark Week and they took it far more serious than we expected. Sunday night we had gummy sharks and blue jello - it turned out weirder than I expected because I used a weird recipe. But they had fun watching Michael Phelps try to race a shark. The next day they decorated the table like a rainforest and added sharks to it. Every day they wanted to know what we were doing to celebrate Shark Week. Our ward dissolved and we were added to a new ward. They had a potluck the first Sunday of the new ward and it was the first day of Shark Week. The boys decided they were having the potluck to celebrate Shark Week. Part of me wanted to let them think it, but I ended up correcting them.




Then I made a shark cookie and they decorated it. They added a lot of "blood".


We went to different things at different museums over the summer. One morning the boys decided to decorate their faces until I asked them if they were ok going into public like that. Jacob and Gus said no and washed it off, but Noah said he was glad he was the only one with his face decorated because he'd be the only cool one. He ended up getting a lot of compliments, so he was vindicated. 


We finished the library summer challenge and got to go to a water park as the prize. This was the first time we've gone and it had big waterslides that the boys absolutely loved. 




Bryan's mom came to visit for a week the beginning of August. We wore her out :)



She helped get the boys ready for school - got new shoes, school supplies, they're all set up. As soon as we walked into the shoe store, Noah saw these converse high tops and had his mind made up. 


We went to the arcade and played laser tag and went to the science center. They boys had a blast. 





We saw lots of movies - there's 3 theaters that offer cheap summer movies once a week.  


Gussy is losing teeth left and right. They've been working on learning the piano this summer and I asked the boys to each pick on Christmas song to learn. Gussy picked All I Want For Christmas Is My 2 Front Teeth - he's excited to sing it with no front teeth.


Summer is almost over - one more week. At the beginning of the summer they each picked a book list from the library and if they finished it they could have ice cream sundaes for dinner. Gus and Noah did it, so we have to get that done. They also want to go bowling, children's museum, and maybe hit one more movie. We also had a family reading contest to see who could read the most pages. Bryan won by far - next year we'll see who reads the most books. The winner of that contest got to pick a restaurant to go to. Bryan picked Tucanos, so the day before school starts we'll watch the solar eclipse, go to Tucanos, then back to school night. Before I know it, it'll just be me and Noah, and even he'll be gone twice a week. We're headed into a new era. 


No comments: