Saturday, March 5, 2011

Benjamin, Benjamin, Benjamin

So I'm all done seeing the specialists - yahoo!! They were awesome and I felt like they were conservative but not overly cautious, meaning I didn't feel like they'd suggest treatments or have me stay in the hospital unnecessarily. The thing I was most worried about was having an extended stay in the hospital to delay labor - out of anything, that would be the worst thing to happen because of the stress of worrying about the baby, stress of worrying about Jacob and Bryan and hating being in the hospital. I've had weekly hormone shots that give me more pain than labor pains and I'd 100% rather get those shots than stay in the hospital. And if the specialists had seen anything weird or thought I was going into labor, they would have been the ones to make the call to put me in the hospital. So I'm glad I'm past the point that I have to worry about that, as well as worrying about the baby falling out.

At the last appointment the specialist said I'm dilated to the stitch, but the stitch is holding great so as long as I don't go into labor beforehand, it'll hold till they take it out. If I do go into labor, well, let's not talk about that. It'll be more than painful. I was 80% effaced and a little over a centimeter dilated two days before they put the stitch in at 21 weeks, so I'm interested to see how far and how fast I progress when they take it out. When they put it in, the doctor said they would take it out at 36 weeks, but the specialist said I need it taken out sometime in the next 2-4 weeks (at 34-36 weeks) so I have an appointment on March 21st to get it out. So I might have a baby in a little over 2 weeks. I'm more than ready to be able to function as a normal human again - be able to walk at a decent pace, lift stuff up, do the dishes, wrestle with Jacob... and if Benjamin is born at 35 weeks, if he does need to stay in the NICU it'll only be for a few days hopefully. If Benjamin was born in 2 weeks, him and Jacob would be 11 months 2 1/2 weeks apart. So we'll have twins for about 2 weeks every year :)

I had an ultrasound at each of my appointments and at the last one, the tech was trying to get a measurement of his head and couldn't get a good angle on it. While she was trying to get a picture, I asked her if you can tell on an ultrasound if the baby has hair. She said definitely and it looks like Benjamin has a lot and at least the hair on the back is long. I've been walking around saying if he comes out a baldy I'll be SOOOO mad because I've had crazy heartburn this whole dang pregnancy and I want hair to show for it. So I'm glad it hasn't been for nothing.

4 comments:

Monica said...

I can't believe you might have Benjamin in two weeks! I hope all goes well for you and think it's so fun that you might be able to say you have twins :)

Anonymous said...

AHHHH! I think you are so crazy for having kids this close....I'm hoping Benjamin isn't as crazy as our second. Willy was a great baby and then at about 16 months...he became our hard child. Oh well, we still love him to pieces....and actually, we love having the two boys so close (only 15 months...you make us look weak..hehehehe)it is so fun once they get to the place where they start playing! Good luck!!

Naazju said...

Irish twins (kids born less than twelve months apart) are SO COOL. :) And I don't completely understand the correlation between heartburn and a head full of hair, but I'm sure, what with Brian being the dad and your experience with Jacob's birth, that his brother will have crazy amounts of hair, too. :)

A Little R and R said...

He could be born on my birthday!!! That would be awesome!!! :)