I put off and put off and put off putting Gus in Jacob's room. Jacob was sleeping through the night soooooo good, maybe waking up once at night if his teeth hurt, but most of the time sleeping straight from 8pm to 7-8am. It was fantastic and I kept thinking as soon as we put Gus in there, they'll both wake up when one of them cries, or we'll have to go in and get Gus as soon as he starts crying before he wakes Jacob up, but Jacob will wake up anyways and see us take him out and get mad that he's still in his crib, even if it's 5 in the morning....I just had a ton of anxiety.
Bryan's parents were coming to visit and they were bringing some toys that I knew we'd need room for, so I had to rearrange a bunch of stuff (really, it was just an excuse for me to rearrange. I was getting antsy) and I needed the room Gus's bed was taking in our room. Gus had also been sleeping through the night way, way better, only getting up once for a bottle, so I finally bit the bullet and moved his stuff into Jacob's room.
Jacob has a bunch of stuff in his room - the bigger toys, a big chest of drawers for his and Gus's clothes, plus all of Bryan's stuff - and we're building him a twin bed that'll take up more space than the crib is taking, so finding a place for Gus was a challenge (that was another reason we hadn't moved him). We're eventually going to build a trundle to slide under the twin, but until then, Gus has a mattress on the floor (before you say anything, it's his own fault. We have a cradle, but he's too freaking long for it. He outgrew it when he was like 2 or 3 months old and it should have lasted till he turned 6 months old). I knew we couldn't leave the bed in the middle of the room because Jacob would demolish it every morning and I didn't feel like remaking it every day, so I moved all of Bryan's stuff into our room, moved my stuff into the boys room (I have less stuff than Bryan. A lot less. It's....weird) which left a big space at the bottom of the closet. So Gus sleeps in the closet. Not only has this worked out well - Jacob for the most part leaves it alone unless he uses it as a little hide-out, but it'll be a great story when he's older. "Yes, Gus, we took the time and energy, blood, sweat and tears, to build Jacob this very nice bed, as well as let him use the crib until the bed was done, while leaving you on the floor in the closet. Priorities, kid, priorities."
As far as them sleeping in the same room, I was a basket-case the first 3 or 4 days, jumping up as soon as I heard the smallest noise, making Bryan get up with me in case they both woke up and needed something, feeling super, super anxious that it wasn't going to work out - I was ridiculous. I have no idea why. Since Gus has been born, his bed in our room and Jacob's
bed share a wall, but it never really occurred to me that because of
this setup, they'd be used to hearing each other cry. So it hasn't been a problem for the most part. There's been one or two nights when Gus has had a harder time so we just brought him in with us, and one night Jacob had a tough time, so we took Gus out that night too, but they've been in the same room for 2 weeks and both of them seem to be sleeping better and better the longer they're together. This morning around 7:30 I heard Gus make a noise, so I waited to see if he'd start crying. Instead I heard Jacob start talking and then heard Gus again, and figured out they were talking to each other. They did it for about 20 minutes. It. Was. Adorable.
It's been fantastic having my room back. I can turn the light on at night when I go to bed - a pleasure that I didn't realize I missed. And one night I accidentally stepped on Gus, so I'm glad I don't have to worry about that anymore either.
2 comments:
Ahhh...sharing a room. I went through that with my boys, thinking back I was dumb for all the stress I felt over it.
It is so sweet to hear the boys talk at night or in the morning, my favorite however is Heinz gets tired and wants to sleep and William is a night owl and an early riser, so sometimes we'll hear, "William...stop making noise, I'm trying to sleep!! It is awesome." Ahhh sweet boys!
You stepped on Gus? And has there been a lot of blood involved in making the bed frame?
Post a Comment