Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Ah Finally!! (This is a potty training post, just fyi)

I just looked at what I wrote and realized it's long and detailed, so if you aren't interested in potty training, I won't be offended if you don't read. I realize this is a subject that many people don't feel should be shared in a public forum, which is why I'm putting this in my blog and not Facebook. I do have limits, so no judging :) And the only pictures I would have added were the ones of Jacob stealing candy - I really try to not put naked pictures of my kids on the internet.

3 days ago I decided we'd try potty training again with Jacob and this time I'd be more consistent because I feel less swamped. So when he woke up on Monday I put underwear on him and so far he's done really well with pee - granted, I let him run around outside with either just underwear or naked and I'm sure he's peeing all over the place out there - but when we're inside he tells me when he needs to go or is willing to go if I ask him to go. This time I'm also giving him a penny and a pez or a piece of gum when he goes and he loves that.

He would not poop, though. He still wears a diaper when he naps and at night and still didn't go for 3 days. After the first day of not pooping we were at Target and I offered to buy him anything if he'd poop 5 times in the toilet. We passed a truck that makes noise and he stood there and played with it for a minute while I told him over and over he could have it if he pooped 5 times in the toilet. Then we passed an aisle that had Phineas and Ferb stuff, including a 12 inch Perry the Platypus. I told him I'd buy him every single thing - a sheet set, comforter, blanket and Perry - if he'd poop 10 times in the toilet.

2 days went by. No poop. He stands on the rim of the toilet when he goes pee and I have a thing I stick in the toilet for him to sit by himself to poop. Will not sit on it. Screams if I try to put him on it just to sit on it. So I went number 2 and gave myself a treat - a dum dum. Set off a full on toddler riot. Both boys screamed and thrashed and literally tried to climb up me while I was standing to get my sucker. I told Jacob he could have his own if he just sat on the toilet. I picked him up and he screamed, thrashed, cried and kicked me, so I put him down and went in the kitchen. (Gus was still laying on the ground screaming, thinking he had something to do with the situation. He got tired of it after a while and waddled off like a duck). Jacob knows which cabinet the candy is in and it's up high - it never crossed my mind he'd get to it. So he picks up a cup and tries to stand on it to get higher while I laugh at him - I did take pictures with my phone but for some reason they didn't save. I'm so bummed. Anyways, he grabs a bar chair, pushes it over to the cabinet, climbs up, gets the cabinet open by using the tips of his fingers, stands on his very, very tippy toes and manages to barely pull the candy towards him and gets it down. I was so impressed I gave him a piece, then made him watch while I put the candy in the pantry, which has an actual door he can't open so he knows he can't get to it. When Bryan got home from work I told him what happened, so he sat with Jacob in the bathroom and let him watch an episode of Phineas and Ferb on his phone while Jacob just sat on the toilet.

3rd day. Still peeing great, today I put shorts on over the underwear and he still did great. He earned 25 pennies so I let him trade them in for a big treat. He'll sit on the toilet now, but still won't go number 2 even though we can see him flexing his stomach and hold his legs together when he's standing around. So we let him sit on the toilet and watch Phineas and Ferb, then when he doesn't do anything for 5 minutes we take him off. That happened 5 times. He ran around a little bit with Gus, then he's standing by the stairs, holding his legs together and starts pointing at the bathroom with an urgent look on his face. Bryan goes in with him, stands him on the toilet rim and he pees, then gets a very concerned look on his face, so Bryan quickly turns him around and sticks the thing in the toilet for him to sit. I start hearing "Push! Push! Good job!! You can do it! Push!" and it immediately transports me back to the hospital when I'm giving labor......Bryan's great at coaching birth and poop, apparently.

Finally. Our pediatrician and my sister both told me usually a kid will go poop before he'll pee, so maybe that means since he's finally pooped that he'll get it really quick?? Maybe?? I probably shouldn't set myself up for that. But at least we have some progress.

No comments: