It's been a long 2 weeks. But fun. Jacob's birthday was on Tuesday. I think it was a combination of him still not getting the whole birthday thing and that we've had so many birthdays over the past month and we kept telling him, "It's not your birthday yet, but it will be soon" that he didn't seem really into it the whole day. By the end of the day when we'd say, "Jacob! It's your birthday!" he'd say, "No! It's Gussy's birthday!!"
I asked him on Monday what kind of cake he wanted, meaning whether he wanted chocolate, strawberry or funfetti, and he said he wanted a castle cake. I asked him again later what he wanted and he said a castle cake, so I figured if I could pull one together without a lot of fuss, why not. Neither Bryan or I like cake that much and I knew if I made a real castle cake we'd just end up with a lot of cake, so I decided to just build a castle-like structure with ice cream sandwiches. It ended up fine - I could only work on it for a few minutes at a time before I'd have to put it back in the freezer for a while, and I knew Jacob really wouldn't care that much, so I didn't put a whole lot of heart and effort into it. It was delicious though.
When Jacob saw the "cake" he said it was a castle, so it passed inspection. Jacob got some cool stuff, including an awesome bag Bryan's mom made him to carry all of his dinosaurs, and seemed fairly happy with the day when he went to bed. He seems cool with the fact that it's my birthday next week, so either he's very easy going or the day didn't make that big of an impact on him :) I did have to go to Walmart on Tuesday so I let Jacob and Gus go through the toys in the cheap toy aisle to spend some birthday money they got and they both seemed to like that a lot.
Wednesday was their well-child visit - the doctor said they're both healthy. The nurse measured Gus at 32 lbs and 31 inches (93% and 95%) and Jacob at 34 lbs and 33 inches (75% on both), which is weird because at Jacob's visit last year he was 30 lbs and 34 inches, so apparently he shrunk? And 6 months ago Gus was 31 lb and 34 1/2 inches, so he really shrunk.....We're going to remeasure them whenever we remember to actually do it.
Gus's sleeping has been on and off, and he doesn't seem to need that much sleep, so we asked the doctor about that. Something me and Bryan have disagreed about is whether or not Bryan's allowed to lay down next to the boys at night when they're awake - I don't have a problem with us being in the same room as them, but I think they, especially Gus, would get used to us being in bed with him and would need it to fall asleep. Bryan just loves snuggling and will get it anyway he can. So when we asked the doctor about his sleep habits, he said he may not need as much sleep as we think he does and said as long as we're just making sure he understand night time is for sleeping and we're not feeding him or letting him watch tv or anything like that then it'll be fine. Thinking I'd be awesome and prove my point to Bryan, I asked if snuggling was ok and the doctor looked at me weird and said that was fine....so I was wrong. Gus is back to sleeping well right now, so Bryan hasn't gotten a chance to rub it in yet.
Friday was my 24 week appointment. The baby stays low and I feel pressure often, which worries me sometimes because with incompetent cervix when I contract when I'm going into labor it doesn't hurt like it should, so I'm super aware if I'm feeling pressure. But I know a lot of the pressure is just from him hanging out so low and isn't really a problem, but still. The doctor said as long as my water doesn't break, I'm not feeling constant pressure and I don't have painful contractions, I just need to trust that the cerclage is doing it's job.
So that's it. We had two 2-year-olds for 9 days, celebrated 2 birthdays and Easter, went to see some dinosaurs, got successful pictures taken, built a sandbox, the 3rd baby hasn't fallen out and my big 3-0 birthday is next week. Good times, good times.
2 comments:
You know, it works better to spread the birthday's out a little bit, hehehe. Just sayin'.
I'm glad the third baby hasn't fallen out. Your husband and mine seem like they do make similar decisions. Great job on the ice cream sandwich castle! Brilliant!
Post a Comment