Sunday, September 13, 2015

First Few Weeks of School

The boys have been in school for 3 weeks now and I think we're finally settling into it. Gus wishes he could go to school more often. He only goes on Tuesdays and Thursdays and he's such a mama's boy I figured that would be plenty, but when Monday rolls around and he doesn't go to school till Tuesday he gets bummed out. His teacher is very project-oriented so he usually has something to show off when he gets in the car. Once he talks about whatever he's carrying, though, he doesn't really talk about anything else. I've helped in his class, and it seems like he interacts with the other kids and really likes going, he just doesn't like to talk about it I guess.

Jacob loves kindergarten. He has lots of new, weird details he likes to share every day. The things 5 year olds find important crack me up. "MOM!! Today Molly got hurt on the playground!....it was a scratch." "Today we didn't learn about a letter!! Just the number 8. But NO LETTER!!" I'm slowly finding out how the class works too. "Mom, the orange table is empty - nobody sits there. But when someone is naughty they have to sit at the orange table." or "Mom!! If Mrs. Brown writes your name on the board you have to MISS RECESS!! And if you're really naughty she puts a check by your name!!" I ask him if he had to sit at the orange table or if she wrote his name on the board and he always sighs, rolls his eyes and tells me he's a good boy at school.
About once a month he'll gets a bag from his teacher and he's suppose to bring a small toy to show the class and bring a healthy snack for everyone. He got the bag last week and wanted to bring yogurt. I wanted to make life easier for his teacher, so I told him he could only bring one flavor of yogurt, so he picked peach. He was worried some kids wouldn't like it and I told him they could say no thank you if they didn't want it. When I picked him up he said one of the boys at his table, "said Jacob! and made me look at him, then he told me he thought the yogurt was really yummy." He was so pleased someone else liked peach yogurt as much as him. He's also really happy when he remembers someone's name. "Mom! Today I learned a new name. BLAKE!" He's told me a couple of names that I'm pretty sure are not real names.
One of my favorites so far was on the third day. He said they learned A on the second day, then when I picked him up on the third day he said, "Today we learned about B. I asked the teacher if we were going to learn the whole alphabet and she said YES!!!" I guess he also asked her if I could come and help in the class (I think he's jealous I help in Gussy's class sometimes) and, again, she said, "YES!!". As a kindergarten teacher, I assume she has some amount of animation when she talks to the kids, but I highly doubt she's that excited when she answers Jacob's questions (Jacob makes it seem like she jumps up and down and yells with complete joy). I'm kind of waiting for him to tell me one day that he doesn't really want to go that day, that the novelty has worn off. But so far he's still excited every day.
It's been nice to have the boys in school, particularly Jacob. Noah still takes an hour and a half nap every day and Gus, even though he's grown out of naps, still needs a "rest" every day, especially on days he goes to school, or he gets so whiny at night. He won't lay down without me, which gives me an excuse to lay down and relax for a half hour. Once a week he'll actually fall asleep and the house is quiet for an hour - it's amazing. In other news, I've started reading again. Lots of young adult novels - the Maze Runner series, Divergent series, Arena Mode series, reread Hunger Games. Fun times.

No comments: