Bryan's thoughts: The Winter Olympics are dumb, except curling. I've jumped on the curling bandwagon.
Kim's thoughts:
1) Ice Dancing is awful. Why is that included? Tonight I had the choice between ice dancing and curling - I chose curling.
2) Curling is bowling mixed with boccie mixed with sweeping the floor, all on ice. I'd rather watch real bowling on ice - how freaking cool would that be? It is funny to hear them yelling and trying to figure out what they heck they're trying to say - it's just gibberish.***
3) Who the heck thought "Hey, luge isn't dangerous enough. I'm going to go 90 miles an hour down an ice slide HEAD FIRST and see how that works out". Serious? I like how everyone talks about the snowboarders and skiers as "extreme sports" - I think the skeleton is WAY more extreme than snowboarding. I snowboard - I don't think you could pay me enough to do the skeleton. I'd do the luge, but not the skeleton.*
4) I remember when men's ice skating was pretty cool - now the costumes are too flu-flu and way too tight. I'm too distracted by them to watch the events anymore. How about their costumes have to be at least two pieces - a shirt and pants. If they want to add a vest or something, that's cool, but it has to be at least two separate pieces of clothing. And two different colors - it can't look like a one-piece. And it can't be skin tight. I think this would help the sport a lot.
5) The random thing I love about the summer Olympics is the speed walking - they look like penguins. The random thing I love about the winter Olympics is how they land on the long jump. I couldn't find a picture. The way they bend their knees and hold their arms out makes me laugh. I think it's because they look like they're being super careful when the worst thing that would happen is they land in snow. The ski aerial athletes don't do it, why do the long jumpers? It just looks silly.**
6) I think Bob Costas is going to be the Dick Clark of the Olympics. They'll pull him out of cryogenic freezers every Olympics when he gets older and every time everyone will say "Wow. I thought he died". Trivia - Bob Costas will be 58 this year.
7) I'm ok that the US doesn't really care about the Biathlon or the Nordic events. They're kind of random events if you think about it. Quoting the great Jerry Seinfeld "The Biathlon makes as much sense as swimming and choking a guy". And people need to stop putting an "a" in the middle of the word - up until I typed this I thought it was a bi-ath-A-lon. Apparently it's not.
8) While we were watching the opening ceremonies, my sister made the observation that the United States and Canada had roughly the same amount of athletes in the Olympics, yet the US has about 100 times the population of Canada (300 million to 33 million). "The US is lazy" she decided and I concur, as I sit here eating popcorn on the couch.
9) The random obsession with curling this Olympics is very random I think. Is it just me or is everyone talking about curling? Bryan likes watching the women's curling, specifically the Canadian women's team because they have "a hottie". I think it's really funny that curling's been "Happy Gilmore-fied". Everyone's cheering and yelling during the games and everyone but the US is getting super mad about it - they say curling is like golfing and the audience needs to be quiet, but the American's don't give a crap. They're running around yelling, riding the brooms around and having the curlers autograph their various body parts.
*They just compared the luge sled to the skeleton sled and because the luge sled is lighter, it can go up to 5 mph faster than the skeleton sled, which makes the luge more dangerous. I still would rather do the luge.
**What if they had speed walking on ice? Then they'd really look like penguins and I'd bet more people would watch that than the short track. One little shove and boom - all the way across the rink. Can you imagine someone pulling an Apollo Ohno-type fastbreak while speed walking? It'd be like slow motion but I bet you'd be on the edge of your seat the entire time. That'd be awesome.
***Why don't they have co-ed curling? (Insert joke about women sweeping here).
The closing ceremonies were psychotic. The End.
2 comments:
I actually really like curling...my friends Mom was the French translator during the SLC Olympics so we watched them a lot....if they made speed walking an Olympic sport....I'd totally be in the that sport as well.
umm, that was pretty much the best post ever. Especially the part about me. Maybe you think people are talking about curling more because you are actually watching it. I didn't notice any difference, but I never watched it. Also, I agree with everything.
Post a Comment