Jacob's a Harry Potter wannabe. I cleaned out the storage under the stairs (a task that probably needed to be done a year ago and something that's been nagging at me for about a month) and removed probably 20 boxes that were already empty or the stuff inside could be consolidated into other boxes. Now there's a large area - well, large enough for Jacob to hang out in - right behind the tiny door in the living room. Jacob loves that tiny door - whenever we go through it to get into the storage he likes to follow us and stand right in our way.
He was so excited when I showed him the area - he immediately started gathering up random stuff around the living room and bringing it into his area, then closing the door behind him. I thought about just taking everything out and setting up his bed in there (he'd absolutely love it, and in all honesty, so would I since that would mean him and Gus would be in separate bedrooms), but responsibly realized that would be illegal, and also realized that would mean we'd have to be a lot quieter after he went to bed and he'd probably bother us a lot while we were watching TV and stuff, seeing as putting a lock on the door would be even more illegal.
Jacob was having a rough time yesterday and at the end of the day all I wanted was just a little area he could go when he was bored, do whatever he wanted, still be in my general area and most of all, where I wouldn't have to tell him "no", "don't touch that", "stop doing that". He can do that in his room, but he plays so well in there for quiet time before his nap I don't like to overuse it, plus it's upstairs and he likes being downstairs when everyone else is downstairs.
So, first of all, even having the energy to clean out the storage instead of take a nap was unusual since Gus is congested and Jacob's starting to get stuffed up, so nobody slept well last night. Then having enough space for Jacob to play, as well as having the storage much better organized, just showed me (yet again) how even the little things that you ask for out of exasperation and exhaustion are heard and responded to.
I took our portable DVD player and put on Toy Story for him. He lovvvveeeddd it. I had to hide the DVD player because he kept picking it up and bringing it to me, then grabbing my hand and leading me to his hut.
No comments:
Post a Comment